Monday, July 28, 2014

The Start of a New ME!

   Emma slept last night from 11:30 p.m to 5:15 a.m this morning and that was the most sleep I've gotten since I started watching her full time. She took her first bottle of the day at 5:30 a.m, burped her for 30 minutes, then laid her down for a cat nap. I felt great at 8 a.m when I got up this morning especially after two cups of coffee, but mainly because I was starting this 30 day fitness challenge. Its a new app on the phone that my wife found that gives you challenges that increase in intensity each day. I chose two different challenges called "the beach body challenge" and "the little black dress challenge". I know it seems a little odd that I chose the second challenge because it was for me too. But I felt like this challenge incorporated exercises for the entire body, not just one part, like abs etc. For about 30 minutes this morning I was faced with things like planks, push-ups, mountain climbers and crunches all while watching re-runs of Saved by the Bell. These exercises wouldn't have phased me ten years ago, but since I haven't been very active in a while, I was having a hell of a time. After I freshened up and drank some water, I decided it was time for Emma's work out of the day,"Tummy time". Since we have gotten into a routine with working on her belly, both my wife and I have noticed such a difference. She is doing so well and every day she looks less and less like a bobble head doll.
     After some recovery time and a snack for both of us to replenish any calories lost, we decided to take a trip to the hardware store. I had two items on my list which consisted of duct tape and two bricks. I have a memorial walk that I am doing this Saturday that requires two bricks, among a couple of other items. It's a charity event that raises money for the 31 Miles for 31 Heroes Foundation www.31heroes.com. The foundation raises money to give to the families of the fallen soldiers that perished in August 2011 during an attack on a Chinook helicopter in Afghanistan. It was considered the worst loss of U.S. Military life in a single incident in the Afghanistan campaign. As we make our way to the hardware store, some dark clouds begin to move in, and I mean quickly. We make it to the hardware store just in time for the sky to open up and to also learn that the hardware store doesn't sell bricks. I bought some duct tape, waited a couple of minutes for the rain to clear up and headed down the street where they sold bricks. At this point Emma hadn't made a peep until the moment we started back for the condo.
      By the time we got back from our journey, it was 3 p.m and we had walked five miles total. I fed her a bottle and then we both took nap. Hers unfortunately was a lot shorter than I would've liked it to be. I am beginning to realize that there is a pattern to this whole parenting thing. The pattern is whenever you think your "me time" is, think again because there isn't such a thing. I know I must sound selfish because that's what I feel. But the fact remains that she needs every second of my undivided attention and I am going to strive to provide that for her. As soon as I start thinking selfishly, I have to remember that she won't be a baby forever. There will be a time before I know it where she won't need me as much anymore, and that will be more painful than not being able to sleep another 15 minutes because she wants my attention. When 5 p.m rolls around and it's time for my evening routine of cleaning up the kitchen, making bottles for tomorrow, and figuring out what my bride and I will be having for dinner tonight. Thank you Emma Harper for making me a better man.

No comments:

Post a Comment